25 September 2011

Make It, Make Your Way Home

When I was in college, I bought the soundtrack to My So-Called Life.  This song, Juliana Hatfield's "Make It Home," was on it, and it is without a doubt one of the most heartbreaking pieces of music I have ever heard.  Every time I hear its opening strains and then her faint hum before that voice kicks in, the one that manages to be both raspy and girlish, my vision clouds and the world goes blurry, not from tears so much as from a want to believe that we will all find the home she sings about.

I read recently that, when you find true love, it is like coming home.  I imagine it's like entering a house you've never seen but somehow, it's yours.  You belong there.  All the furniture conforms to your body, the bed supports you, the water temperature is always perfect in bath or shower, the sunlight splays across the floor in that way you like that is so singularly yours.  The bookshelves are filled with your dearest loves, the artwork on the walls was made just for you, and no matter what you're hungry for, you can find it in that space because it is where you were meant to be.

Each time I hear this song, I say a little prayer for all of us looking for true love or trying to make our way to the ones we have already found, that we will, before too long, make it home.



Hmm..mmm..mmm...
Mmm..mmm...
Mmm..mmm...
Mmm.....

Deepening night, think on a time
All was bright
Here in this dark place, I see in your face
All is not right

Make it, make your way home
Better than the last
Break it, break the alone
Take a second chance

Open a window, let in the snow
Cold is all I know
Go to the fire, stir it around
There's a warmer place for you to go

So, make it, make your way home
Better than you have
Break it, break the alone
Leave it in the past

Oh, look and you'll find it
Someone wants to love you
Look and you'll find it
Someone wants to love you

Wake it, wake your dream
One forgotten me
Sleepin' deep inside o' you
Heavenly peace

No comments:

Post a Comment