02 February 2012

Lines

There's a fine line between who I want to be and who I am.  Some days, these two ladies meet up and it's like a party you wish you'd been invited to--good music, laughter, delicious food that won't make you fat--but others days it's the sad ass party you threw as a kid that no one, not even your stuffed animals wanted to attend.  The one where everyone was supposed to speak in a foreign accent and sip tea like they liked it even though no one really discovers tea until their twenties.

That line is fine, hard to see, but it trips me again and again.  Just when I think I have a handle on how to be a friend and teacher, a daughter and sister, a woman and still--deep inside where very few people get to look--a little girl, something happens and I am tripping all the hell over that line, mixing those women up into a cocktail of doubt and anxiety and swirling purple strains of sadness.

I read recently, in Nicholson Baker's "The Anthologist", that old lilac wood, deep in its center, has streaks of deep purple in it.  I've been obsessed with that image, that heart of color beating inside something that seems outwardly dead, something royal buried in something forgotten.  I feel like there is that in me ("I know not what it is, but I know it is in me"): that same richness is here, but I have to be cracked open to get to it and I'll be damned if I'm not tired of cracking. 

I don't want to have to trace these lines or watch out for them or fill them in with expensive products or color within them.  I want to acknowledge their existence and move the hell on but who ever gets to do that?  It feels like an impossibility, most days, that moving on.  But I'm trying.  I am, forver it seems, trying.

2 comments:

  1. I have fought this battle time and again. Just waiting in that dark place Anne Lamott speaks of, are doubts and fears still there, hanging on the edge of my conciousness. I think most people have this problem at one time or another but most people do not try to face it and I think this is more of a female than male issue. When my thoughts turn dark, music has always helped me, loud, crashing rock or classical something to pull me out of the pit and wake me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am so tired of cracking. I just want to move on, with some semblance of stability for what my life is going to look like. Instead I feel I have to build it from the ground up. And it is so exhausting. Probably different reasons, but I relate so well to this post. There's a fine line between settling for okay, and striving for amazing, and I am just so, so tired of striving. But I'm not able to accept okay and just be happy with it either. I want more. I want better. I want amazing.

    ReplyDelete