20 June 2010

I Shall Use My Time


"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time."
~ Jack London




My father taught me to be a woman who wants to live rather than exist, to feel things passionately even if that passion is sometimes irrational, and to want to make a difference.  


Here we are when I was two.  I may never have entered another beauty pageant, but I have never doubted myself because he believed in me then, and he does now. 
Happy Father's Day, Papa.  Thank you for teaching me that choosing to be happy isn't about being selfish, it's about having the best life I can.  I promise not to waste my days: I shall use my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment