01 May 2010

Oh to Be a Pear Tree--Any Tree in Bloom


The title of this post come from Their Eyes Were Watching God.  Janie, the protagonist, is sixteen and realizing her power as a woman for the first time.  It's a sexual awakening for her and, for the reader, it's the beginning of seeing the heart of what Janie wants: to be bursting with life, beautiful, bright, and free.


I am not Janie, and I'm fairly certain my awakening days are over.  At any rate, though I am not her, today I want what Janie wants:  to see life all around me: beautiful, bright, free.


So I planted flowers, shrubs, and yes, Janie, a tree.  In bloom.  A friend and I bought cuttings at a church Plant sale this morning, the red flowers around the tree are from there--I don't know what they're called.  I bought the lobelia at a big box store I am ashamed (but too poor not) to shop at.

New hanging baskets for the porch--impatiens--and I moved the table and Adirondack chairs out front.  They've been on the back patio because I don't usually want to associate with my neighbors, but I'm
trying to get over that.  Just because I'm sitting out there doesn't mean I have to talk to them, right?

I planted two Sweetspire Merlot bushes and two bunches of Blue Moon Viola in front of the fence, threw down some seeds in the backyard: Sunflowers in the Northwest corner of the back yard, Lavender Sage, Forget Me Nots, Poppies, and Zinnias by the house, we'll see what comes up in a few weeks.  

And finally: a Prairiefire Crab Tree.  Gorgeoous.  I looked at it this morning, thought about it all day, then bought and planted it this afternoon. When I look out my bedroom window from now on, I'll see something beautiful that I put in the ground.

I don't know how you spent your day, but I hope you have something equally gorgeous to show for it.





No comments:

Post a Comment