17 April 2012

Advice?

As a part of my job--that I love--I am on a committee that helps consider and draft curriculum changes for our district.  Teachers in my discipline from both area high schools serve on this committee under a coordinator who-despite being well intentioned and a genuinely nice person--is a bit out of her element having never been a high school English teacher.  This means the committee members function with an overseer of sorts, but no real person of authority guiding our meetings.  To her credit, our coordinator has acknowledged she knows less than we do and is willing to learn.  I applaud her for that effort.

The other people on the committee are all seasoned teachers with years in the discipline and a vested interest in the curriculum.  The members from my school, including myself, are rabid readers and constantly revise what we do in our own classrooms, excited by the possibility and thrill of change in a profession that can--due to bureaucracy--often feel sadly flat and lackluster.  Our colleagues from the other school, though I have never taught with them, represent themselves as more comfortable with the status quo than with any concept of change.  I understand this stance, it is easy and requires far less effort and has always worked before.  I do not begrudge them their position though I disagree with it.  We all bring something different to the table, and that is the point of a group of people making decision vs. on person: all perspectives must be represented.

The issue of late, however, has been in the way my enthusiasm and passion for my job has been perceived.  I fear my other school colleagues see me as some sort of power hungry strategist intent on pushing my own agenda to the detriment of their positions and/or feelings.  Nothing could be further from the truth, and yet on four separate occasions someone from that side has chastised, corrected when no correction as needed, or verbally attacked me for what I can only describe as the way I communicate.  I become impassioned.  I may speak quickly and loudly, but in a room full of educated adults participating in the conversation with me, I feel this kind of reverence for what we do is warranted and certainly not something that should be condemned.  But, the negativity pours out.

I do not want to change the way I work or present myself, but I do not wish to be attacked either.  I believe wholeheartedly that none of these people would have made similar statements to my male counterparts from my own school which saddens me to no end, that even in a professional setting men are allowed to voice their opinions passionately and women aren't.  My basis for this assumption is that I have seen my male counterparts worked up, near incensed, and no hostility has been directed their way.  I, on the other hand, can't seem to attend a meeting without being attacked.

If you have advice about how to handle this situation, I would appreciate.  I truly respect my colleagues and believe their opinions matter, I do not wish to upset or undermine them in any way, but I simply cannot tolerate their ill treatment any longer nor do I wish to compromise my integrity by being someone I am not.  So,  I guess what I'm saying is...help.

4 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about this for the past couple days. I'm not sure I have THE answer. But I think I can tell you what I might try to do in the same situation.

    It sounds as if they have made up their mind about you. They may well be WRONG. But they are repeating themselves because they don't feel heard.

    So, as counter intuitive as it may sound, what are they saying that you can hear?

    I ask that not because they are right. I'm with you. Passion ought to be the default, and apathy ought to need a defense. BUT in the real world: your passion threatens the status quo, and threatens people who rely on the status quo.

    So in what small ways can you hear them? Recognize where they're coming from? Acknowledge it? And then sell your passion in a way that's not just palatable, but irresistible, to the status quo?

    It's a big job. I'm recommending you polish your sales pitch to sell snow to the Eskimos. If it rubs you the wrong way, I can't blame you. But if you decide you can take on this challenge, perhaps master it ... well, Teach, nothin' can stop you then!!!

    I can't help but imagine that this mountain might not be a thang but a lil' hill to you! You know you're that good. So sell 'em. You don't need to bother with animosity. Or sink to it. Your natural charisma can carry the day. Your passion is just the price of the entrance ticket. After that...the stage is yours. Study your audience, and play it as it lays.

    If anybody can do it: You Can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh heavens, this is just what I needed to read. I've been thinking so much about what you've said, and I think there are ways for me to hang back and wait for my moment as opposed to participating in all conversations, though I hate the thought of having to limit myself. I believe what they hear is a threat to the way they do things, and while I am not a threatening person per se, my passion for what I do may be seen as such.

    Teaching isn't just my job, it's my calling, and so I get overexcited at times and probably push a little harder than I need to. And I know when I disagree with someone, my default tone tends to fall more to the side of judgment than acceptance of another's opinion. So, I'm going to work on breathing more and not saying everything I think. You're right, I can do it, it just means playing a political game I dislike.

    But, if you can hang with small children all day and find peace and joy and wisdom in it, I should damn well have the patience to learn how to interact more effectively with the adults in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "It just means playing a political game I don't like."

      Oh! I know that feeling! I fight that feeling all the time. I used to sit in meetings and listen to people talk around things, and nobody ever said plainly what was as plain as the nose on our faces, and it drove me CRAZY!!!

      So I worked on figuring out how to say it gently, rather than plainly. I liked the shock value of the plain, especially in contrast to the bland, papering over of the plain with jargon. But nobody wanted to listen to it said plain. It always went over like a fart at a formal dinner. I got pretty good at figuring out how to say it gently, how to guide people to my point of view. It is a game. And it can even be fun as you get good at it.

      But it's frustrating to have to play, when you want to play a different game, where truth and passion don't have to be disguised, and can be spoken openly, and then built on with enthusiasm.

      Delete
  3. "It always went over like a fart at a formal dinner." EXACTLY!!! I think you're right--gentle vs. plain. I have never been accused of being a gentle girl, I've got a lot more bull in the china shop in me than dainty ballerina, but I suppose even a bull has to learn to dance some time.

    ReplyDelete