05 November 2011

Long Overdue

Music has been a part of my life longer than I can remember.  The story around my house is that the first song I ever learned was "She's Always a Woman" by Billy Joel from the '77 record The Stranger.  I don't recall my parents owning this record, but I learned it somehow--radio most likely--and would wander around the house, two years old and already crooning, the word 'woman' over an over again.  As in, 'woman woman woman.'  Even then, I knew what I was going to grow to be.

For a while this year, I've had a hard time listening to music.  So much of it inspires such bone deep reactions--from tears to melancholy to the unbridled wildness inspired by Heart's Barracuda.  Seriously, if I'm ever pulled over for speeding it will probably be because I was listening to this song and singing at top volume.  There are moments in life when my own emotions are so close to my skin that I simply cannot hear a song that will push me over the edge.  But, I'm not having any of those moments right now.

In fact, I can't get enough of my music.  I was wandering through old cds last night and realized how much good music I own that I never listen to simply because I get caught up in whatever's current in my ipod or cd player.  Today, grayish cold and windy, I am going to wallow in my music collection, cassette tapes, vinyl, and all nearly 1000 cds will get a peak, what to keep, what to retire.  I haven't been this excited about a long indulgent Saturday in a while.  Here's the gem from the morning--if you haven't heard this in a while, you--like me--are long overdue for a listen:

No comments:

Post a Comment