30 May 2012

25-50-75: Day 3

25
No gym for me this morning as I woke up and my entire body was in revolt.  I, apparently, have abs, and they are very very angry with me.  Add that to the riot in my calves and total rebellion in my hamstrings and, well, no gym.  Plus I attended an all day training at our district office to learn how to create iBooks for our classroom, so my time was somewhat limited.  [for anyone thinking the training was lame, you're wrong: it was totally cool.  I'm going again tomorrow to build a book for my American Lit classes, and I am sort of beyond dorkily excited about it.]

Healthy breakfast, lunch out at La Familia where I didn't engage in rice and beans and took advantage of their hot salsa's ability to curb my appetite.  By the time I got home, I was super hungry, but I managed to forage healthily in my own fridge, so it's been a win win in the eating well column.  The hardest thing for me is missing the sun.  I love the pool, and I won't be back there til Friday.  Oh well.  Gym again tomorrow, no soreness as an excuse.

50
Finished Mantel's An Experiment in Love.  Eh.  The pace didn't pick up, though the darkness beneath the surface panned out.  A hidden pregnancy, the narrator wasting away as she denied herself food in an effort to save her limited funds while at boarding school, a couple of abortions.  You know, typical English school girl fodder.  It was alright, but unless you are a fan of watching flies narrowly escape getting stuck to slow drying paint, I wouldn't recommend it.  It's not so much that it was bad as that there was very little at stake ever, and that just drives me crazy in a novel.

Next, I'm going to hit a collection of short stories by Mary Clyde called Survival Rates.  I was completely intrigued by the cover (below) and the author's personal history.  She went to Brigham Young, is a Mormon (Mormons FASCINATE me, I think it's the whole tablets in the desert, magic underwear thing), and she has five kids with her husband, but the descriptions of the stories sounded dark enough that I bet there's a bit more to old Mary than meets the eye.  I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment