10 October 2010

10/10/10

This morning, after years of not belonging to one, I officially joined a church.  


I spent a very long time wondering what God wanted of me, how S/He could exist when there was so very much pain in the world, how I, an educated woman who has read more in my 34 years than some people ever do in a lifetime, how could I believe in something I couldn't see, something I couldn't touch, something I couldn't photograph.


And then, I just knew.  Faith held the door open for me one Sunday morning in April, and I have been saying thank you for that gesture ever since.


I do not pretend to know what anyone else needs in this life, but today, I took steps towards ensuring I get what I need: a spiritual home, a loving community, and a truly accepting group of people who share my world view, a world view so eloquently stated in the church covenant:


In the love of truth and in the spirit of Jesus, we unite for the worship of God and the service of all. We seek to know the will of God and to walk in God’s ways, made known or to be made known to us; to love one another, to proclaim the Gospel to all the world; to work and pray for the progress of knowledge, the promotion of justice, the reign of peace, and the realization of our shared humanity. And we look with faith for the triumph of righteousness and the gift of life eternal.


I'm not going to knock on doors or ask you to talk to me about your salvation--if we're friends, I probably already know your views and love you enough to know we'll talk if we need to, or we won't.  Today wasn't about you or what you need to do, world.  It was about me, and I think that's just fine.  You see, all day I have felt something miraculous should happen given the significance of today's calendar date: 10/10/10.  It occurs to me now, as the night comes on in and the cool evening air of fall perfumes my house, that joining my church this morning was my miracle, and I couldn't be more grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment